Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Addyson's First Day of Preschool

Tuesday was Addyson's first day of Preschool. She was SOOO excited and we've been talking about it for months now. She had her outfit all picked out, new shoes, lunchbox and all of that fun stuff! I was okay with everything until we got in the car and then wouldn't you know it, the dreaded # 8 of the Taylor Swift CD came on and well, I don't advise anyone to listen to that song on the way to the first day of school!! The title of the song is "Never Grow Up" and as you can imagine, when I really started listening to the words, it was a MAJOR tear jerker! The chorus line goes something to the extent of "Oh darlin don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up, wish you could stay this little." Yea, not a good song to hear on the way to school!!



Here is Miss Addyson eating her breakfast!


Brrr!! It's cold out here!


Bennie Boo wanted in on the picture action!


Being crazy/excited for first day!


Okay, one last "nice" picture for mom!

Walking in- yes, there were more tears here (on my part)! Her backpack is bigger than her!

So independent......didn't even look back to see if we were with her! Walked right in and sat down! Yes, I'm the mom talking the multiple pictures and I forgot to get one with her. :(



Addyson with Ms. Tina, her teacher

Snapping one last pic on the way out the door!

First day seemed to go pretty well. At first, when I picked her up she was saying how awesome everything was and even used the phrase, "School Rocks!" Ha! As I questioned her more (Was your teacher nice? Did you eat your lunch? Who did you play with? Were your friends in your class nice? You know, the 50 questions I had been waiting to ask all day!!) she filled me in on the details but then when I was asking who she played with she said "R" and she wasn't very nice" I asked, "Well, why not?" and Addyson said, "She said she didn't like my clothes or my shoes". GASP........I seriously wanted to cry and I actually did shed a tear when I was telling Ryan the story. I was like, "Who in the world told my little baby girl that they did not like her clothes?" Seriously, does this stuff start at age 4????? OMG- that kind of stuff BREAKS my heart if any kid (especially mine!:)) gets their feelings hurt over some other kid being mean.


Now, I don't know if it was a mean comment or not like if this girl came up and said, "I don't like your clothes" or if it was more of Addyson asking "Hey, do you like my clothes? (which I am not sure she would really ask someone that, but I'm just trying to think of all scenarios) and the girl just said No. That would not be as bad as if she just came up and initiated the comment. I tried to not make a big deal out of it to her and Ryan used it as a teaching moment to be like, "Well, just because someone says that doesn't mean that you can't still be nice to them......blah blah blah." He is totally 100% right, but I was thinking "You tell that little girl that your mommy said your outfit is the cutest thing in the entire world!!!!" Okay, that is not a good way to handle it, but you get my drift here!


Regardless, I guess it's an eye opener of real life- kids are not always nice to each other and I have to equip my little girl to know that it's okay if someone says that to her, it doesn't matter what other people think and to just move on and take the high road. Hopefully, this was just a random event and it will never happen again ;).

2 comments:

Marcy said...

Okay, I started out laughing as I read this because that stupid Taylor Swift song gets me every time! But then I read the part about "R". I kind of want to go smack her. I am glad Ryan was able to use it as a teaching moment, but good grief...they are FOUR! That is an eye-opener for sure. I am so terrified of things like this but you're right, I guess we have to learn to deal with them!

Brittany said...

Lisa,
So glad that she is transitioning great. If it makes you feel any better, Brooks and Bosten asked me this morning for a cell phone. Yes, a cell phone for a 6 year old. Oh geez, some of their friends already have them. Time flies waaaayyy too fast. Its hard to watch them grow up and have others not be anything but sweet to them, but I think it is a good way to teach her that others do not define her and that her confidence comes from within. If that "R" doesn't be quiet, we can sic Parker on her. She would tell her what's up. I will say that when this stuff happens to my kids, I just make a point to teach them that if you let that person bother you or bring you down, you give away some of your power to them. Never let anyone else tell you who you are. They know nothing. When you are kind in return regardless of how others treat you, you are powerful and it makes God happy. That is how we handle that at our house. Good luck, and next time you see "R" give her a good glare for Aunt Brittany.....she'll know what she did when you stare her down. (I'm so passive agressive and a little bit nutty/protective : ))