Thursday, July 1, 2010

Benjamin Ryan- 4 months old!

Yesterday we went in for Ben's 4 month checkup! She said he looks great and is definitely growing. Here are his stats:

Weight: 16 lbs 12 oz (90th percentile)
Height: 26 1/2 inches (92nd percentile)
Head: 42 cm (??) (50th percentile)

He has been such a sweet baby boy! Lately he has had a few issues, but overall, he's still such a sweetie! It's funny I was thinking today how Addyson was literally allergic to my breastmilk and Ben won't take anything but BM! He will detect one tablespoon of formula and refuse an entire bottle, all while screaming and getting extremely mad and turning so red. I think he has a little bit of a temper. He has actually been refusing ANYTHING but BM. Yesterday I gave him Mylicon (which he used to like) and he made the worse face ever and got really mad. Then I had to give him Tylenol a couple of times (he got his shots yesterday) and he got really mad at that too. It's concerning me a little that he seems to be having major oral aversions to everything except mommy's milk. Hopefully this will get better with time.

So while at the pediatrician I asked her for some suggestions on the formula thing and she said to keep trying the soy and to just give it to him straight up rather than mixing it with BM. She also said to try one oz of apple juice mixed with one oz of water out of a bottle so he could get used to tasting other things out of a bottle. I tried all of this yesterday with no success. I called her back today because I was thinking, Hmm, I'm not quite sure that I emphasized exactly how mad this baby gets when I try and give him something else. So I called and asked if I should try at each feeding or if I should try for X minutes and then offer BM, etc. She said if he was getting this mad and refusing everything but BM it sounded like he has just made up his mind that he only wants BM and that is probably what I was going to have to do. So, I guess that's what I'll be doing. I am going to try some supplements to see if I can increase my supply and try and get 10 extra oz a day. Do you think that is reasonable? If I can get an extra 10 oz I should be good to cover the 6 days I'll be gone in August. And while I'm there I will obviously be pumping- does anyone know if it's possible to send the milk back home packed with dry ice or anything? I don't know if that is possible or not- just wanted to check around out there to see if anyone has heard of someone doing this!

Dr. Sampson also said at 6 months I might just try going to a cup and see if he would take something else out of a cup rather than a bottle. I don't really at this point think it's the bottle thing, I'm pretty sure its a formula thing. But we'll see.

Here are some things that Ben is doing:

Sleeping through the night (about 9:30 to 6:30)
Smiling all the time! Especially at mommy!
Likes his toys- loves the jumparoo, bumbo, bouncy seat and swing. Addyson never liked any of these so it's nice to get some use out of them!
Likes to watch TV.... just like his sissy!
Doesn't love tummy time, but he'll tolerate it sometimes
Loves to be outside
Wearing mostly 9 month clothes
Wearing size 3 diapers
Eating usually 5 times a day (every 4 hours). Sometimes I'll squeeze in a 6th feeding if needed
Can sit up for a few seconds
Loves to "stand" rather than sit
Grabs on to his toys and puts them in his mouth
Loves his mommy, daddy and sister!
No teeth poking through yet but Dr. Sampson said she sees a bunch of teeth coming on top- he has been drooling A LOT so I know he is teething some!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!! You have got a challenge ahead of you!!
LeeAnn

Unknown said...

They won't let you use dry ice, but there are other alternatives. I actually had to check my milk after our Mexico vacation. They usually don't let you bring as a carry-on unless you have the baby with you. So what I did was, I brought a soft cooler and ice packs with me. While I was gone, I pumped every 3 to 4 hours (Even in the airport bathroom, using a little extension cord. Yuck! But you can carry-on what you pump at the airport b/c you have already been cleared to board) Then I froze it in the mini freezer that was in our room. I just packed all the frozen milk with the ice packs in the cooler. By the time we reached DFW, the milk was still very cold. You can't refreeze it after it has been thawed, so be sure to use that milk up first so it isn't wasted. I hate wasting that precious BM!!

Jocelyn said...

I hope things work out with the BM!