Monday, July 12, 2010

Update on Ben!

Things have been going better with Ben! Last Monday after our 4th of July party Ben was still being really fussy. He wouldn't eat and was just really fussy. So, what do we do? We pulled out our matching laptops and started googling things like, "My 4 month old baby is super fussy" and "My 4 month old baby won't take formula", etc. We tend to do this and it's kind of nice to see what other moms/people have to say about certain issues.



Ryan came across a couple of articles/posts that said to try giving the already prepared formula to a baby that is refusing other formula. Hmm. Haven't tried this before! All of the other formulas I tried were powder - I figured it was the same thing as the already prepared stuff. However, some people said the already prepared formula was a little sweeter and tasted more like breastmilk. So off to Babies R Us we went! We bought the Nestle Good Start Soy and came home to give it a try!


SUCCESS!!!! At first he turned his head but he didn't make the awful face that he had before. So, I though, hmmm, this could be promising. I tried a little more and he wasn't really going for it. Then I decided to try a trick that my friend Whitney told me about. Fake breast feeding. Worked like a charm- he took 5 oz! I was amazed!! Thanks Whit!

Later that night he took 5 more. I thought- wow- this is great! Until midnight when he started barfing!! The next morning he barfed some more. He didn't seem like his tummy hurt though- he wasn't crying or anything like that. So next I tried one oz of formula mixed in with BM. This has been working for a week now with no problems! I am still pumping every day but it makes me feel better knowing I have a back up plan! Here are some recent pictures:

Ryan with his babies!


Out to lunch earlier this week!

Addy and her little brother!

5 comments:

ChelseaSalomone said...

OMG his lunch date outfit is toooo cute!!!! When Nick and I have kids you are going to be my Google. I'm just going to call you when we run into problems.

Justin and Allison said...

So glad he is doing better. Have I told you your kids are beautiful, seriously they are both so cute.

Paige said...

What is fake breastfeeding, I'm not sure I know exactly what that is.

lisaburgess27 said...

That is so interesting about the premade formula...I never would have thought that! Glad you have it figured out :)

Marcy said...

Your kiddos have expensive taste in formula! :) Glad you got it figured out.