Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Princess Camp!

Addyson is attending Princess Camp aka Ballerina Camp aka Dance Camp this week at our church. There is a program the church has called AIM First and it has all kinds of acitvities for kids to do from dance to basketball to sewing and cooking classes, art, etc. They offer the classes year round but this week is AIM First Summer Camp week and so I decided to try Addyson in the dance class. It's technically called Budding Ballerina's and it is for 3-5 year olds. It is from 9-noon Monday through Friday of this week. Addyson has been super excited about going- I've been talking it up lots! Here she is on her first day (yesterday):


Today I put an actual tu-tu on her. I'm not exactly sure how it is going this week though. There are only 4 kids in the class- 2 girls that are 5 and another girl that is Addyson's age. Yesterday when I went to pick her up I was all excited and said "Did you have fun?? Show me some ballerina moves", etc. She didn't really want to show me any and then she started in with, "I only cried for a little while because I wanted my mommy". And I said- "Why did you cry". And her reply was "The teacher told me to stand up and I didn't want to stand up." I'm seeing where this was going.... Addyson most likely just wanted to do her own thing and not what everyone else was doing.
So, today, I got to the class to pick her up about 10 minutes early. I tried to spy on her through the window, but she saw me. Darn! What I was able to see though was the other 3 girls following directions from the teacher at the front of the class doing their super cute little ballerina moves and Addyson twirling around on the floor, running around, etc. not interested in the bit what everyone else was doing. I asked the teacher today after class if she participated or anything and she said that she really didn't, she just likes to do her own thing. Yesterday I told Addyson that she needed to listen to her teacher because her teacher was going to teach her how to dance and Addyson's reply was "I already know how to dance". I don't know if she's just not interested in dance or what, but I kind of wish she would at least participate! Oh well, she did say she had fun and so maybe by the end of the week she'll be more in to it. If not, then at least I didn't sign her up for 6 months of class or anything!

1 comment:

ChelseaSalomone said...

Gifted and talented (GT) kids are ALWAYS like that. Trust me.