Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Homeless!!

Well, we are officially homeless!  We do not own a home right now, all of our stuff is in storage and we are going back and forth between my parents house and Ryan's parents house.  Silver lining........they live right down the street from each other, so that does make it nice and easy!  It's been a little pain, if I may say so, living out of a suitcase but overall I am EXTREMELY thankful that we have somewhere to stay and that both of our parents so graciously opened up their doors for us to move on in for a month, 6 weeks, maybe 8...........hope they are not reading this!  Joking!  But we really don't know 100% when the move date will be, but most likely middle of June some time we will be for sure up there and getting settled in. 

Moving week was busy, but good.  We had packers come and pack everything up.  This might sound like I didn't have to do much, but there was still plenty for me to do!  There could be no liquids packed up (which was quite a bit of stuff I tell ya!), candles, or valuables.   We made several trips back and forth and of course we had to get stuff that we would need over the next 6 weeks packed up and moved as well.  I had a really hard time deciding on what clothes we all might need.  I packed pretty much all of Ben's because they could easily fit into one suitcase.  I packed the better part of Addyson's stuff and my stuff just because it was stressing me out thinking of what we needed.  We have her preschool graduation and things like that so I just was like well, the heck with it, let's just take the majority of it.  Probably not a great idea, but oh well!  What's done is done! 

Ryan is traveling for the next 3 weeks so me and the kids are going back and forth between Nana and MiMi's houses.  So far, it has been great!  Dinners cooked for me, moms to help out with the kids (especially on Saturday mornings!)- what am I thinking!!  I should never leave this arrangement!! 

Addyson is doing great with the move so far.  She's had a couple of times where I can see her wheels turning, but she quickly moves on and she is really excited about Kindergarten so that has been a really positive distraction.  Ben doesn't have a clue what is going on but he has said, "I wanna go home" about 10 times which just breaks my heart!  He'll say it and then quickly move on, so I don't think he is dwelling on it, but he says it every once in a while.  Poor thing has no idea of what's in store for him!  When we get up to Kansas I am hoping he'll feel more comfortable once he sees all of his old stuff.  Kids rebound quickly from these types of things and honestly, he probably won't ever remember this move at all. 

And me?  I have been doing good!  As I have told several people, I am kind of equating this to having your first baby.  You don't really know what to expect until the day arrives and you are thrown into the middle of it with no choice of getting out.  So, ask me about a month, maybe two, after we move and I'll probably have an opinion at that point.  I know it will definitely be hard at times, but I guess that is life!  I just really try to make the best out of every situation and take it one day at a time.  What more can ya do?  I do think that attitude is everything and I know if I go into this whole thing with a negative attitude then it will be bad.  But really, I am excited about the move.  We've never moved off and so part of it will be an adventure of something new that we have never done before.  Ryan and I will have to depend on each other in ways that we never have before and so I think that will be good for us!

We close up in KC on May 29th and we are going to get quite a bit of work done before we move all of our stuff in.  We want to get the entire house painted (which is a pretty big job because there is lots of wood paneling and wood trim that we are painting white), floors re-done in the entire house (adding wood floors, refinishing existing wood floors and replacing all of the carpet) and changing out the staircase banister (adding iron spindles and wood end caps to the stairs).  Those are the projects I want to get done before we move up there and then once that is done we will move our stuff in.  Ideally I would like to have a couple of days to unpack everything without my lovely 5 year old and 2 year old helpers there, but we'll see what the timeline looks like once the contractors start.  I just can't imagine trying to unpack an entire house while entertaining the kids.  Sounds a little chaotic if you ask me! 

All in all, things are going great and I am feeling extremely blessed for the opportunities that have been presented to us!  We have a great family and group of friends and I know that this move will never change that!!  Having said that, we do expect each and every one of you to come and visit us!  Often!! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have a great attitude, and even though it is a TON of work, there are fun parts (like getting to organize, shop, decorate, etc). YOu have great perspective....and that is what it is all about! Plus 2 sets of parents to help will make all the difference in the world. But, I'm glad we will have some time at WCCC before you leave. We'll def meetup there before you go!