Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Doctors appt. gone bad!

Ben had his 9 month well check today. I say well check, but it ended up being a sick visit! Vanessa called me this afternoon and said Ben was being very fussy. We suspected teething and so she gave him some Tylenol. I picked him and Addyson up at 3:30 and off we went to see Dr. Sampson for his 4:00 9 month check up. I asked Addyson if she wanted to come with us or stay at Vanessas and of course, she wanted to come with me. She actually likes to go to the Doctor (esp when it's not for her!). I had the talk with her (as I always do) that this appointment is for Ben and mommy needs to be able to talk to Dr. Sampson. If you are going to come with me I am going to need for you to sit in the chair like a big girl and sit quietly. She always agrees and it never exactly goes as planned. :)

We actually got right back, which was nice! We got Ben all undressed and weighed him, length, temp, etc. When she took his temp it was 101! Okay- Ben is now sick! He has been fussy and long story short he has his first little ear infection. Poor Bennie! So, no flu shot today (it was supposed to be his second one). We went over all of the milestones. Here is what little Ben is up to:

Weight- 20.8 lbs (50th %)- he dropped a lot here- was 90th last time
Height- 28.5 inches (75%)
Head- 50%
Playing Peek-a-Boo
Waving Bye Bye
Clapping
Saying Mama, Dada (he correctly says both of those most of the time- when I walk into the room he'll say Mama and same with Ryan- very cute!), BaBa, GaGa- still working on sissy! :)
Loves his sissy by the way! Thinks she is pretty funny!
Loves to play with his toys
Crawling all over the place
Pulls up, stands, crusies on furniture some and over Thanksgiving he apparently even crawled up on the couch at Nana's house. Little stinker!
Takes 28-32 oz of Soy Formula per day
Eats baby food 3 times a day- likes pretty much everything
Still takes 2 naps a day
Sleeps from about 7:15ish at night to 7:00 AM

So, this might not sound like that bad of an appointment but it got worse! Addyson decided that she needed something every 2 seconds while we were in there. Of course right when Dr. Sampson got in there and we were talking she all the sudden had a super emergency pee pee attack. She started whining- Mom- I have to go potty- NOW, potty is coming out! I said- Addyson can you hold it- NOOOOO, mom, pee pee is about to come out. Geez! Dr. Sampson asked if she could go by herself and one of the nurses took her down the hall- she went by herself and so that was good. As far as sitting on the chair quietly, that didn't exactly happen either. So I was in the chair holding Ben as he was getting looked over and Addyson comes and is climbing on my back, trying to scoot in behind me and see what is going on with Ben. I didn't want to get on to her like I wanted to ;) but I was trying to ignore her/still have a conversation with the Doctor and that's not always the easiest thing.

One other concern with Ben is his pooping. All of the sudden the boy goes like 4 times a day! It started happening the day after his flu shot. He has always been more on the constipated side and would go every couple of days. Day after flu shot he started having these big blow outs out of no where.......Dr. Sampson says she doesn't think it is related to the flu shot but it is a weird coincidence if you ask me! Anyways, she wonders if he might all of the sudden be intolerant/allergic to soy. She said to try him on Nutramagen. She gave me some samples to try and I tried tonight and he would not take it at all. He is VERY picky on new tastes. Remember how long it took to go from Breastmilk to formula? So, not sure what we'll do about that. Any suggestions? And I'm not sure I think that is the problem either. I don't know either way what to think!

Then we had to get a finger prick. She pricked his finger, squeezed really hard and finally a little drop of blood came out. She got what she needed (everything was fine!) and put a bandaid on. Out the door I went- carrying Ben in his carrier (very heavy), 4 sample cans of formula, a prescription for antibiotic, my purse, Addyson's hand. You get the picture. I was overloaded! I scheduled 2 more appointments and headed to the car. Mind you I was also answering 50 questions from Addyson at the same time, telling her no more stickers, please don't talk until we are out of here, etc. I am sure all of you moms with more than one kid (or even one!) know what I'm talking about! I got to the car, pulled out of the spot and checked to make sure I had the prescription. No where to be found. I pulled back in, got out and went to the back seat to see if it was back there. I got to the backseat to find blood everywhere!!!! Ben's finger was gushing blood everywhere and it was all over his face, his car seat, his clothes, his pacie--everywhere! Ahhhh! Can't find the prescription- phone starts ringing- it's Dr. Sampson's office saying I left the prescription inside. I repark (luckily I was still in parking lot!), go inside, get tissues, bandaids and the prescription. Of course, meanwhile, Addyson is asking multiple millions of questions- Mom, what are we doing? Why is Ben bleeding? What are you looking for? Why did we repark? Where are you going? AHHHH! Chaos!

We finally got everything settled and I took the kids home, dropped them off and then went to Target all by MYSELF to get Ben's prescription filled. Did a little Christmas shopping and got home an hour later! Having 2 kids is very busy at times!!!!

3 comments:

Marcy said...

Okay, you know it's bad when you have a mom of twins horrified! Haha! I would've forgone Target and gone straight to somewhere that serves margaritas!

Seriously, I think that having two kids (or more!) of different ages is just as difficult as having twins, but in different ways. Anyways, I have no advice on the poop issue but I agree that it's suspicious about the flu shot. I wonder how he will react when he gets the next dose? How long has he been on the soy formula?

Brittany said...

One word for you......"WELCOME"!
EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE!
Ya'll wander why I am such a scatter brain all of the time. We have 2 out of 3 at home with strep this week that involves projectile vomiting. Fun fun! Gotta love the life!

ChelseaSalomone said...

LOL! That sounds so rough!! I get so frustrated with my kindergarteners doing that at school, I can't even imagine being somewhere important trying to get something done and dealing with that. You're one patient mama!