This week has been Husky Pride week at Addyson's school! Monday I had a conference with her teacher. She is doing great at school and socially as well! I wasn't super surprised at this. Her teacher is good at keeping parents up to date with any happenings! I went up to volunteer one day and I happened to be there when the class was going to music. Mrs. Price asked me to stay in the room and that she would be right back. Hmmmmm........what did she need to talk to me about?? :) I wasn't really worried, just curious! She said that Addyson does GREAT at school. Gets everything super easy and she often assigns her other work while she works with the class on other things. She did, however, mention that Addyson has had a wee bit of a problem following directions lately. Nothing major, just little things. For example, one day when it was really cold outside Mrs. Price asked all of the kids to zip their jackets. They MUST zip jackets when it is this cold and they are going outside. Addyson doesn't like to zip her jacket and so she casually just walked around acting as if she did not hear Mrs. Price. Mrs. Price again repeated herself that EVERYONE must zip jackets and if they needed any help they could come to her and she would help them. Nope, Addyson still just avoided eye contact and acted as if she didn't hear. So, finally she had to sit out at recess for 2 minutes that day because she was not following directions! ha! I never heard this story at home!! Her teacher was laughing about it and assured me it wasn't a big deal but that she does this from time to time. Um hmm.....that's my stubborn girl! A mind of her own! Anways, long story short, I had a talk with Addyson at home and re-iterated that we must always follow directions and do what the teacher asks, etc. Sometimes kids just need to be reminded of our expectations of them! Mrs. P said at her conference that she had been doing really well at that since we talked! Good!! :)
It did remind me that kids sometimes need the simplest of instructions/directions. Reminding them to always be kind to others, that it is not nice to say certain things to people, etc may be second nature to adults but I do find that kids often just need little reminders here and there as they are figuring out this complicated world! We've been doing a lot of the "how would you feel if someone said/did that to you" type situations. I can see a lightbulb going off sometimes!! :)
Tuesday night was Husky Pride night (AKA open house). Addyson was SOOOO excited to show us all around her school and things she had made. She showed us the art room, music room, computer lab, spanish class. Uggg, when did she get so big!? I was really proud of her! They had made all kinds of cute things for their classroom, including a book about Kansas. Good thing, because I didn't know half of the "Kansas facts"! Guess I'll need to brush up on those! Did you know that the state amphibian is the salamander?? Me neither! I didn't even know states had "state amphibians"! The stuff we learn!
Today was her Valentine party at school. She was super pumped about it all week and I think they had a really great time. I was supposed to volunteer but Ryan was out of town so I had to see if another mom could take my spot. I've been to every school party so far, so I figured it wasn't a big deal to miss one!
She has a 5 day weekend this week! Off Thursday/Friday and Monday as well for President's Day. We have a BIG SURPRISE tomorrow too that I can't wait to tell the kids about!! No I am not pregnant. ;) But it is a FUN surprise!! I'll update later with the details!
Random Ben story..........this boy is the sweetest thing sometimes and also the orneriest at times! Yesterday I was trying to get him to go down for a nap and he was jumping in his bed. Shocker! I went in there and tried to put on my meanest, most serious voice and I said "Benjamin Ryan it is bed time and you need to lay down RIGHT NOW. I am serious. Lay down and quit jumping in your bed" I had a very stern look on my face and I was quite proud of my seriousness. He walked up to me (eye level because he was on top of the bed) and came nose to nose with me and whispered "No" in his most serious voice. Just a little one syllable "No". Then he smiled and went back to jumping. Uggg!!! That boy! Where does a mom go from there!!
He did eventually lay down and go to sleep but when I left the room I just had to laugh because it actually was very funny and cute what he did. Guess I didn't intimidate him too much with my mean voice. That's what happens when you are around mom all day!
1 comment:
I'm so proud of Addyson! I knew she would be a kindergarten star, though. She is incredible. She really is! Cracking up about Ben. Yeahhh... he's clearly not intimidated =)
Post a Comment