Friday, April 9, 2010
Breastfeeding roadblocks
I've come to the conclusion that if something is going to happen, it's going to happen to me! A few weeks ago Ben was diagnosed with thrush. No big deal- we got him on some meds (4x/day for 2 weeks!) and we were good. Well, except that didn't clear it up and it has now passed over to me. Symptoms of this are extremely painful nursing on the affected side (like burining and shooting pains). Ben's doctor changed his prescription and my OB gave me a prescription to take as well. So yesterday morning I woke up with really bad pain in my left breast. I thought it was the yeast in my milk ducts (reading on line says this is super painful) and so I just went on with my day. I started getting chills and really achy as the day went on, but no fever. Hmm. Still not sure what all of this is. My chills and achiness got a lot worse and I started looking on line and sure enough, I think I have mastitis as well. (Also, thanks to Jeni and Katie for helping me diagnose!) I took my temp and it was 101. Also I could see redness where it hurt. Great! I called the on-call doctor to get some meds because everything I read on-line says that if you develop a fever to get on meds right away. I got some called in and started on antibiotics. Except that antibiotics are what caused Ben's thrush in the first place, so we'll see how that goes.... During the night my temp got up to 102 and it was a rough night of sleep- if you could even call it that. So I now have mastitis and yeast in my milk ducts- doesn't make for a pleasant nursing experience! Hopefully all of this gets cleared up soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I hope you get to feeling better soon and that Ben's thrush goes away!! Good talking to you last night and hope to get to see you guys soon!!
Yuck, that's no fun. I hope you feel better soon. Thanks for coming to see me yesterday even though you weren't feeling great. I really enjoyed our visit!
Oh Lisa!!!! Hang in there.
Bummer. I have heard thrush is awful, a girl in my playgroup had it. I had mastitis when I was drying up when Blake was around a year old and I felt like I had the flu, it was rough. Triple Lecithin is a supplement that is a fat emulsifier and it really helps with clogged ducts and actually made my mastitis feel much better. That and feeding with the chin close to the hurting duct. Breastfeeding is not for weenies.
Oh girl! That sounds awful! I had mastitis 3 times after I had Taylor. 2 of those times I fought it off with lots of sleep and lots of water. I did take antiobiotics one of the times. It is so painful and makes your whole body ache. Try to rest. I know its difficult with a newborn and toddler, but its the best thing you can do.
Oh Lis, I'm so sorry! I'm sure thats very painful. Praying its all cleared up by now!
Oh, I'm so sorry! I've heard mastitis is really painful! I hope you get over it soon!
Post a Comment